- Drama: The Sunflower on the Shogi Board (literal title)
- Romaji: Banjo no Himawari
- Japanese: 盤上の向日葵
- Director: Ryuichi Honda
- Writer: Yuko Yuzuki (novel), Tsutomu Kuroiwa
- Network: NHK
- Episodes: 4
- Release Date: September 8 – 29, 2019
- Runtime: Sundays 22:00-22:49
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
In 1994, a human skeleton is found in the mountain of Saitama. A shogi game piece is found with the skeleton. The shogi piece was made by a master craftsman. Veteran detective Takeshi (Kohei Otomo) and rookie detective Naoya (Misako Renbutsu) begin to investigate the owner of the shogi piece.
Keisuke (Yudai Chiba) is a genius professional shogi player. While doing an interview with a shogi magazine, Keisuke recalls his childhood. In 1972, Keisuke was an elementary school student and he lived with his father. His father was violent and did not even give Keisuke a proper meal. Keisuke happened to meet Koichiro (Akira Emoto), who was a retired teacher. Koichiro was nice to Keisuke and, because of him, Keisuke became fascinated with the game of shogi.
Detective Takeshi and Detective Naoya go to see Keisuke. Is Keisuke the killer? Who is the dead person?
- Based on novel “Banjo no Himawari” by Yuko Yuzuki (published August 18, 2017 by Chuokoron-Shinsha).
- Filming begins mid-July, 2019 and finishes late-August, 2019.
|Yudai Chiba||Akira Emoto||Naoto Takenaka||Misako Renbutsu||Kohei Otomo|
|Keisuke Kamijo||Koichiro Karasawa||Shigeyoshi Tomyo||Naoya Sano||Takeshi Ishiba|
|Fumi Dan||Kiyohiko Shibukawa|
|Yoshiko Karasawa||Yoichi Kamijo|