- Movie: Himizu
- Romaji: Himizu
- Japanese: ヒミズ
- Director: Sion Sono
- Writer: Minoru Furuya (manga), Sion Sono
- Producer: Haruo Umekawa, Masashi Yamazaki
- Cinematographer: Sohei Tanikawa
- Release Date: January 14, 2012
- Runtime: 129 min
- Genre: Drama
- Distributor: Gaga Corporation
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Set after the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami, all 14-year-old Yuichi Sumida (Shota Sometani) wants to become is a regular boy and live a decent life. His environment though repeatedly drags him into the mud. He runs his parent’s rental boat business, which is located next to a nondescript lake. His mother frequently comes home with different men and soon she leaves him entirely. His father only comes around looking for money. Whenever Yuichi’s father is drunk he tells Yuichi “I wish you were dead.”
Keiko Chazawa (Fumi Nikaido) is a classmate of Yuichi Sumida. She harbors a severe crush on Yuichi. Keiko’s home life isn’t much better than Yuichi’s. Her mother builds a gallows with a noose in place for Keiko to take her own life. Her mother believes her life would be better off without Keiko.
Under these circumstances, Keiko pays a visit to Yuichi’s home. A group of people are lingering nearyby who live in make shift tents on the property. Keiko tries to befriend Yuichi, but she is berated and even physically assaulted. She doesn’t get deterred though and sticks around.
One day, the yakuza come by Yuichi’s home. They look for Yuichi’s father who is nowhere to be found. The men then tell Yuichi that he has to come up with 6 million Yen by tomorrow to pay off his father’s debt. Yuichi already heartbroken by his mother’s abandonment and abuse from his father nears a tipping point. A string of incidents then occurs that brings Yuichi’s world to a screeching halt. Is there light at the end of the tunnel for Yuichi?
- Movie is based on Minoru Furuya’s manga “Himizu” (2001–2002, Young Magazine, Kodansha).
- Title “Himizu” refers to a breed of moles found in Japan.
- Director Sion Sono originally planned to make a straight movie adaptation of Minoru Furuya’s manga, but following the Tohoku earthquake & tsunami adapted the story to fit into the post-Tohouku earthquake & tsunami Japan.
|Shota Sometani||Fumi Nikaido||Tetsu Watanabe||Mitsuru Fukikoshi||Megumi Kagurazaka|
|Yuichi Sumida||Keiko Chazawa||Yoruno||Keita Tamura||Keiko Tamura|
|Denden||Ken Mitsuishi||Makiko Watanabe||Asuka Kurosawa||Keisuke Horibe|
|Kaneko||Yuichi’s dad||Yuichi’s mom||Keiko’s mom||Keiko’s dad|
|Jun Murakami||Yosuke Kubozuka||Fuyuki Moto||Taro Suwa||Setchin Kawaya|
|Yuriko Yoshitaka||Anne Suzuki||Takahiro Nishijima|
Additional Cast Members: