- Movie: Nobody Knows
- Romaji: Dare mo Shiranai
- Japanese: 誰も知らない
- Director: Hirokazu Koreeda
- Writer: Hirokazu Koreeda
- Producer: Hirokazu Koreeda
- Cinematographer: Yutaka Yamazaki
- Release Date: August 7, 2004 (Japan)
- Runtime: 141 min.
- Genre: Best Film-Movie of the Year / Award Winning-Drama / Award Winning-Dysfunctional Family / Brothers & Sisters / Award Winning-Children
- Studio: Cinequanon, Bandai Visual
- Distributor: Cinequanon
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Single mother Keiko Fukushima (You) moves into a new apartment with her 12-year-old son Akira (Yuya Yagira). They also greet their landlord and Keiko introduces Akira to the landlord as her only son. She also explains that his father is overseas on business. After they get settled into their new apartment, out of their suitcase pops out two more of Keiko’s children. Akira then goes by himself to the train station to pick up his other sister Kyoko (Ayu Kitaura).
Once everyone is together, they have their first dinner at their new apartment. Keiko explains the rules: no loud voices and nobody goes outside except for Akira. Otherwise, they will get evicted like they did at their last apartment. Keiko then leaves for work at a department store and leaves Akira to take care of the children.
The mother soon meets a new boyfriend and her absence at the apartment grows longer and longer, until one day, it seems the mother has abandoned the children for good. Akira with little money left, must take of care of his siblings, knowing that if he does not they will be separated into foster homes.
- Based on the true event know as the “Affair of the four abandoned children of Sugamo” – which occurred over a 9 month period in 1988 in Tokyo’s Toshima Ward.
- Singer-songwriter Takako Tate, who appears in the movie as a convenience store clerk, sings the movie’s theme song “Hoseki” (“Jewels”).
|Yuya Yagira||Ayu Kitaura||Hihei Kimura|
|Akira Fukushima||Kyoko Fukushima||Shigeru Fukushima|
|Momoko Shimizu||Hanae Kan||You|
|Yuki Fukushima||Saki||Keiko Fukushima|
Additional Cast Members:
- Kazuyoshi Kushida – Tadashi Yoshinaga (landlord)
- Yukiko Okamoto – Eriko Yoshinaga
- Sei Hiraizumi – Tsukasa Nakanobu (convenience store manager)
- Ryo Kase – Jun Hiroyama (convenience store clerk)
- Takako Tate – Sanae Miyajima (convenience store clerk)
- Yuichi Kimura – Sugihara (taxi driver)
- Kenichi Endo – Kyobashi (pachinko parlor employee)
- Susumu Terajima – baseball coach
- Yuji Maeda
- Mari Hayashida