- Movie: The Promised Land (English title) / Paradise (literal title)
- Romaji: Rakuen
- Japanese: 楽園
- Director: Takahisa Zeze
- Writer: Shuichi Yoshida (novel), Takahisa Zeze
- Release Date: October 18, 2019
- Runtime: 129 min.
- Distributor: Kadokawa Pictures
- Language: Japanese
- Country: Japan
Plot Synopsis by AsianWiki Staff ©
A little girl is kidnapped along a Y-shaped road, but the kidnapper is not caught. Tsumugi (Hana Sugisaki), who was with the girl right before the kidnapping, is deeply hurt from the event.
12 years later, a girl goes missing along the same Y-shaped road. Takeshi (Gou Ayano) is a lonely young man and sells recyclable products with his mother. He is a suspect in the recent kidnapping case. He panics when he realizes he is a suspect and runs away to another city.
1 year later, Zenjiro (Koichi Sato) lives with his pet dog near the Y-shaped road where the two kidnapping cases took place. He carries out business to revitalize the village, but somehow he is blamed by the people there. He falls into madness and that leads to a horrific case.
- Based on short stories “Aota Y Jiro” and “Yorozuya Zenjiro” from short story collection “A Collection of Crime Stories” by Shuichi Yoshida (published October 15, 2016 by Shogakukan).
- Filming begins September 10, 2018 and finishes mid October, 2018.
- Movie’s theme song is “Ichiru” by singer-actress Mone Kamishiraishi. “Ichiru” is featured in the main trailer.
- Still images for movie “The Promised Land.”
- Gou Ayano – Takeshi Nakamura
- Hana Sugisaki – Tsumugi Yukawa
- Koichi Sato – Zenjiro Tanaka
- Nijiro Murakami – Hiro Nogami
- Reiko Kataoka – Hisako
- Asuka Kurosawa – Yoko Nakamura
- Shizuka Ishibashi – Asako Fujiki
- Toshie Negishi – Noriko Tanaka
- Akira Emoto – Goro Fujiki
- Hayate Yukawa – Takeshi Nakamura (child)